Incorporates the design and implementation of authentic, rigorous units of study based upon the curriculum, the integration of strategic instruction, as well as a focus on creating engaging learning environments and learning connections.
It is the integration of all of these dimensions that supports deep understanding of curricular objectives and enables students to acquire a disposition for all learning, now and in their future.
Criteria of Powerful Learning:
- Purposeful and meaningful
- Invites sustained inquiry and encourages curiosity
- Supports innovation through fostering connections
- Engages students in deep learning and learning that transfers
- Utilizes high impact strategies
- Provides opportunities for collaborative thinking
- Invites critical and creative thinking ( is a thinking classroom)
- Encourages active involvement in explorations considering multiple sources and perspectives
- Intentional connection is made to the real-world both locally and globally
- Facilitates authentic learning experiences
- Promotes student ownership of learning
- Assessment is authentic, embedded and moves learning forward
- Technology is used as a tool for learning
What does Powerful Learning look and sound like?
- Growth mindset is nurtured.
- Strategic planning leads to deep understanding.
- Strategic instruction fosters critically thoughtful creators, connectors and collaborators.
- Effective questioning is used to support learning.
- Learning outcomes are understood by all.
- Effective assessment is ongoing and varied.
- Effective feedback guides the learner towards mastery of outcomes.
- Self and peer assessment support deep understanding and self-regulation.
- Students achieve deep understanding through strategic thinking.
- Supports students to become engaged citizens who actively participate in our community.
- Engages students through meaningful challenges and authentic applications.