What are Concept Circles?
Concept circles are a great way to engage students in representing a variety of mathematical concepts.
Teachers and parents can use them to support children both inside and outside of the classroom.
The main topic or central idea is put in the middle of the circle.
Students can then show what they know in a variety of different representations such as pictures, words, numbers, symbols and/or actual objects.
Concept Circles provide opportunities for:
- rich discussions
- all learners to be involved
- assessment through observation and conversations
Resources & References:
- Key Resource: https://www.pearsoncanadaschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS33G7
- Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14hh3Tz1P4
- Sample Concept Circle Activities: http://www.markskrpan.com/sample-concept-circle-activities/
- Deepening Mathematical Learning with Concept Circles: https://www.markskrpan.com/deepening-mathematical-learning-with-concept-circles/
- Blank Concept Circle Templates: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Concept-circles-5315060?st=ac8360420ae89f41c529b39d1f8e616d