Read and Write is a literacy software with tools designed for reading, writing, study and research support. Read and Write for Google Chrome is an extension that works with PC-Microsoft, Mac-Apple (including Ipads), and Chromebooks to bring technolgoy equality to all learners. This is a tool that can increase student engagement by providing greater access to reading, speec-to-text and study aids for students. The best way to increase student achievement when using this is to choose intentional moments in the classroom to showcase the particular features of Read and Write for Google Chrome.
As a common way to provide two-way communication between students and teachers, Google apps such as Google Docs, Google slides and webpages (Google Search) are frequently used. Read and Write for Google Chrome provides support tools for the web and common file types accessed through Google Drive. Beneficial for use in all subject areas, Read and Write offers support with activities such as reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words, research, simplifying web pages, creating vocabulary lists and both typing and proofing written work.
Google Slideshow to be used with your class:
- Hear web pages and documents read aloud to improve reading comprehension, with choice of natural voices
- Understand unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries
- Develop writing skills with word prediction
- Support independent student research with valuable study skills tools
- Translator for Identifying unfamiliar words
- Collecting and summarizing tools